Thursday 25 February 2016

How to Mix and Match Fabrics for Crafts and Girls' Dresses




Sadly I don't think I shall see much blossom on my fruit trees this spring. 

As you can probably see from the photo above, they've just been subjected to a much overdue pruning this week!







But luckily I've taken lots of photos of the lovely, sweet-scented blossoms in years gone by, so I was able to use some of those photos to paint the motifs for my 'Apple Blossom' pattern collection in watercolour.



As usual, I've created a main pattern with three different background colours, plus three related 'leafy maze', hand-drawn patterns, a 'floral' Polka Dot, a colour-coordinated Check Gingham and two Faux Patchwork patterns -



You can see them all in my Posh & Painterly store.





There is always an essential practical element in designing, as opposed to creating Fine Art. And, as I work on a collection of pattern designs, part of my mind is always mulling over what my patterns can best be used for.

And last week, when I was shopping in town, I spotted a new shop, 'A Child's Boutique' (facebook page) and I immediately made the connection with the collection of patterns I was working on!



It was the window display that caught my eye because the little girls' dresses in the window were so similar to the ones I used to make for my daughters when they were little, back in the late '60s and '70s!






I've always loved the idea of mixing and matching fabrics and the boho/hippie style of that era was just right for the dresses I made. 

It's a style that has come and gone over the years and although it has never really gone out of fashion, it seems to be enjoying a resurgence at the moment!









Here's another (online) store, Lily and Sid, carrying frocks for little girls and the boys' outfits tend towards the mix'n'match as well.



The great thing about making dresses for little girls is that it can be quick - unless you go in for hand-smocking, that is! - and because they take so little fabric, they are not going to break the bank. 

The bonus is that you may have enough left over from one dress to make a frill, a yoke or at least some patch pockets on another one!


Trim with ric-rac braid and/or broderie anglaise for added cuteness! 





Here's a cushion I created for my Posh & Painterly store, just as an example - might give you some ideas for how to mix and match these 'Apple Blossom' fabrics!


The Faux Patchwork pattern would also look good with one of the other patterns used for the yoke or puffed sleeves - or underskirt, knickerbockers or frill! - for a pretty, nostalgic 'Holly Hobbie' look!



And here are three ladies' tank tops I've created to give you an idea of how the main 'Apple Blossom' pattern looks made up into a garment.



I'm gradually adding more home and fashion accessories to my Posh and Painterly store - I think some of my 'Apple Blossom' collection of home accessories would look great in a bedroom, particularly as so many of the patterns are based on the colour blue, which is restful and some say it makes for a good night's sleep.



By the way
my 'Apple Blossom' collection of fabrics is now also available for sale,
 along with many of my collections, 
on the 


(uk) website




And here are all my fabric collections so far, on Pinterest!

My
Fabric Collections
on

I hope I've inspired you who love to sew, to create some pretty little boho-chic dresses that will delight any little girl. 

I'd love to see your photos of them if you do!







No comments: