Sunday 5 October 2014

Spreading the idea of the Seasonal Door Wreath!


It all began with Pinterest last spring, when I was putting together boards to represent the four seasons!

That's when I discovered that hanging a decorated wreath on our front doors isn't restricted to Christmas-time. This discovery fired my imagination so much that I wanted to drop everything and make a spring wreath straight away. 

But where to get the base? Naturally, I did a google search for sources of bases - which led me to a website with lovely clear instructions for making my own and I plunged right in!





You'll find more about my Spring Wreath
and a link to the 'Modern Country' blog
where I found the instructions

In the summer I didn't have time to make another wreath base from scratch so I cheated and filled a pretty heart-shaped wire basket with (artificial) summer 
flowers. 




But with my honeysuckle hedge growing like a triffid this summer, sending out such long shoots that it's barely possible to get past it to refill my bird feeder, I was determined to take advantage of the fresher stems to make the base for my autumn wreath!


The honeysuckle threatening to strangle the climbing roses!

I somehow still didn't get around to having my wreath all ready in time for the 
first day of autumn. But we were still having unusually summery weather so my 
poppies, daisies and cornflowers didn't seem too out of place.

I finally found some time to cut back the honeysuckle last Sunday afternoon and the sun was still so warm in my garden that I decided to use the stems I cut off to make the wreath base outside in my garden, to save the mess in my kitchen. And all that bending and trimming the stems can result in quite a mess, especially if you haven't removed the leaves and berries!





During the week, I've begged or bought all sorts of bits and pieces for my Autumn Wreath and found some more in the park. 


A word of warning if you think of making something like this: try to use flowers 
with stems that are thin enough to slot into the wreath base - or at least thin 
enough to cut easily. I bought some lovely sprays of berries and so on from the local florist but the stems were far too long and almost too thick to cut. So I ended up having to use wire to keep them in place; not a disaster but not ideal either.

In most matters of design, I tend to prefer 'balance' to 'symmetry' because it's usually less formal; and I just followed my instinct when I created my Spring Wreath.  

But I thought it would be good to make a change and try to create a symmetrical Autumn Wreath - funny how that strong instinct of mine took over and ended up with 'balance' again!

So here it is, finally finished and hung on the door, just as the weather has finally turned chilly and damp, much more autumnal -


The seed-heads on the left are Granny's Bonnets (Aquilegia) from
my garden, the beech-masts and cone are from the park and
the dark seed heads at the top are from a neighbour's garden,
 Rudbeckia, or something like that, I think.
I'm not usually very enthusiastic about our British habit of frequently importing 
ideas from the other side of the pond. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I don't like the idea that 'globalisation' can blur the (positive) differences between countries and their cultures too completely. 

But the idea of a seasonal door wreath is one idea I'll happily borrow from our American friends and I'd love to see the idea spread over here too!

My front door isn't easily visible from the pavement so the best way to promote the idea is through my blog.

So - all you clever and crafty Brits, 
what are you waiting for?

4 comments:

Carole Barkett said...

Very pretty and inspirational too

Judy Adamson said...

Thank you, Carole - as I wrote this post I was wondering whether the lovely door wreath 'habit' is as common in Canada as it seems to be in the US, it all being 'North America'!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I'm so thrilled that you've been finding that tutorial such an inspiration!!

It makes your front door look so autumnal and lovely!

My thought is that because the wreath itself is large-ish, it might have been worth bulking it up more with other foliage, to privide more of a balance to the flowers.

Just a thought though (and only because you asked for constructive feedback!!).

Sarahxxx

Judy Adamson said...

Hi Sarah - thank you so much for stopping by and leaving some feedback. You're quite right, the wreath does look a bit 'skinny' in places and I could probably add some foliage as you suggest - if I can find some! (I was having such a struggle with the long, thick stems of some of the bits and pieces I bought that it all took me longer than the available time and I was just glad to get it finished!)