Tuesday 3 July 2012

Poppies and Cornflowers, Blue Bubbles and Art Nouveau


I made so many products from last week’s Poppies and Cornflowers design that I haven’t had time to make any cards from it yet!





More Poppy and Cornflower products
Poppies and Cornflowers - Out and About:
HERE
and
Poppies and Cornflowers - At Home
HERE

But I have made some cards from one of my ‘Bubbles’ screenprints.

I think everyone agrees that finding suitable greeting cards for men isn’t easy. I sell a lot of cards for older men, the ones with the almost cartoon-like characters, dancing and jogging and doing altogether unlikely things! But younger and middle-aged men are even more difficult, unless they have a particular hobby or interest that you can build on. Jokey ones are another possibility but I’m no good at that at all.

So sometimes a design that is purely decorative in a non-flowery way, is a solution. Which is where my screenprints come in! A Bubbly Birthday Card -




And here’s another screenprint  - the same design but in different colours. This one will probably find its way on to some customizable smartphone cases and skins sometime soon.



But not this week, if I can find time to develop the design I’ve just painted into a repeating pattern.


It’s based on the tiles in the lovely old, original, early 20th century fireplace in one of my bedrooms, a genuine Art Nouveau design.



I’ve changed the colours slightly but I do like blue, green and white together for a particularly clean, ‘fresh’ look.

The challenge I’ve set myself is to use this tile design to make a pattern that doesn’t look too much like tiles. Not sure at the moment how I can do that so I expect I’ll have to play around with it quite a lot . . . results next time!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your poppies are beautiful and I love your new design so far!

Judy Adamson said...

Thank you, Brenda :)

Wall Art Pictures said...

Agree with Brenda... Wonderfully crisp and always interesting!