Friday 12 February 2010

Guest Contributor, Kate Smith, writes about her mini-masterpieces

As you can tell by the images on my Etsy site, I have a varied interest in things. I have well over 400 different cards now, consisting of several different alphabets and an assortment of images, both stitched and painted, and some beaded.

All the work is done by hand, including the beading, which is put on one bead at a time. I am a more tactile type of person and prefer to paint or stitch my work. It's too easy to go online and make a picture. Though some are wonderful, to be sure, there is just no actual human touch to it. Owning one of my cards is like having a small piece of one-of-a-kind artwork.
I love to paint them. I find it relaxing and a challenge at the same time the challenge being finding what the public is interested in. Sales online have been slow. Seems most want the printed card and not the painted card. I am always up to customize for anyone.
I believe my work is something unique and off the beaten path. I did put a few up on the Zazzle site but the metallic paints don't translate well to printing. So I decided to just keep the ETSY site only. I did try Artfire with no success. Lots of people looked but no buyers. But I suppose it's a challenge and a leap of faith to buy something online and when you get it to find out how wonderful it really is. I bought a piece of amber that way. Here is the link to my Etsy shop, kateskards.

1 comment:

Judy Adamson said...

Thank you, Kate. I particularly like your mediaeval alphabet letters, as seen on Zazzle!